Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Think It's Gonna Rain . . .

You know . . . I bought this coffee table at IKEA. And I expected it to be black, like the display model. But I got it home and it was a very light wood color. That's ok, I guess, but I really like black, and I really wanted a black coffee table.

I thought about putting the coffee table, unassembled, back in the box. But I said "fuck it," and I put it all together. Maybe I'd come to love my cream-colored table. I spent a few hours putting it together. It was kinda fun. Smash was confused, and he kept attacking the bag with all the hardware in it.

Eventually, I built a nice table. But I wasn't satisfied. Sure, I had a table. I had a coffee table. The exact style I liked. But it's not what I wanted. I feel unsatisfied and . . . empty.

Today, I found out that even the display model wasn't actually black - it was "espresso." So even what I was aiming for wasn't really what I wanted.

So now maybe I'll paint it black, like the Rolling Stones. But I wonder if it'll look as good as it would if it had come black from the store. The wood grain won't show through, and I don't know how I feel about that. On the other hand, if I paint it, the table will be black, not espresso or cream, which is exactly what I wanted.

So what else am I supposed to do? Maybe I'll wait until I graduate and get a job and I'll just start all over. And I can give my coffee table to an undergrad who wants one that color.

But maybe by then I will have grown attached. I don't know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vice said...

I agree - paint it black. Then paint a badass skull and crossbones on it.

Then, perhaps, a cute puppy, for the ladies.

6/01/2006 09:50:00 AM  
Blogger LawNut said...

I think you should return it. The espresso table will look almost black, and it will look trendier than a black-painted table.

6/01/2006 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should encase it in black velour.

6/01/2006 06:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see a cream table and you want to paint it black?

Do it, say I! It'll be a fun project, and you'll get -exactly- what you wanted.

Either that or the black velour thing, but I hear that's a bitch to keep clean.

6/03/2006 12:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should paint each section a different color.

6/03/2006 02:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home