Friday, June 09, 2006

Random Crap and a Crappy Sushi Restaurant

I want to write something right now, but I don't know what I want to write, so I'm just going to start writing and see what happens.
I'm listening to "Ava Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins right now. That's a decent song.
I heard tonight that one of my most hated people at the Law School, let's call him "The Lord of All That Is Douche-ie," has a "really hot" girlfriend. Not surprising, really, since that's what this guy's all about. It's also not surprising that this guy turned in all his potential mate capital for a girl who's physically attractive but who, I'm sure, has no substance. Am I a horrible person for thinking that, because this girl's hot, she must be stupid? If I thought that, maybe I would be a bad person. But that's not why I think she's stupid. I think she's stupid because she's choosing to spend any amount of time at all with the Lord of All That Is Douche-ie. The fact is I was stuck in an evelator with that guy once, and I barely made it out alive; the power of the Douche nearly overwhelmed me.
I want to reiterate that saying "I hate white people" is just as dispicable and racist as saying "I hate black people."
I also want to take this time to reiterate that involuntary female circumcision is completely, objectively, horrendously wrong.
I got to drive a Toyota Prius today. Pretty sweet.
In the past 48 hours, one of the lawyers at work implicitly complimented my intelligence several times. That pretty much made my days.
The truth is that I have a million things running through my head right now. I feel like going on a drive and listening to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness over and over again. I feel like driving to Maple Bluff (the richest part of Madison) and looking at houses I can't afford. I really like doing that for some reason. The last time I did that by myself was during the first year of law school when I was feeling pretty shitty about some things that happened. But I don't really feel too bad right now, really. Or maybe I do? I don't know.
I think I miss my friends. Fuck, I just realized that. Lots of my friends are gone and, even worse, the friends that are here are constantly busy. As am I, but still.
You know, I went to Murimoto's tonight. It's this Japanese/French fusion place. I've heard an overwhelming amount of good things about it. Literally, everyone who's talked about it has praised it. So, when Rachel and J.Mart invited me to join them for dinner there, I was very excited. I met them, we decided to sit down, and I prepared to be overwhelmed by awesomeness.
We kept sitting and sitting, and no one came to give us menus, take our drink orders or even simply acknowledge our existence. Finally, J.Mart went back inside and told them we were waiting for some service. Apparently, the woman inside said something like "Oh, we didn't know you had sat down," which was bullshit because they had seated us. Whatever.
So, finally some guy comes out and hands us menus. We look them over, and I immediately know what I want: miso soup, a shrimp tempura roll and an eel and avocado roll. When the guy comes back to take our drink orders, we're all ready. I order the above, plus an Amstel Light. Rachel orders some vegetarian bullshit. J.Mart orders some duck mango roll, something else, and they order some Japanese Slaw (whatever the fuck that is) for the table. Rachel and J.Mart order a bottle of plum wine to share. We all order miso soup. The waiter does't write anything down. I thought about saying something, but I decided that, hey, it's an up-scale restaurant, he must know what he's doing.
About ten minutes later, we have not yet received our drinks. Finally, the Slaw comes out. It's crap. At least, I don't like it. But Rachel and J.Mart enjoy it, although they say that there's not enough dressing. I wouldn't know. Eventually, after about 20 minutes, we still have not received our drinks. I go inside and politely ask what's up with our drinks, and I'm told that they'll get right on that. The waiter comes outside a few minutes later and explains to the women that they have just enough plum wine for one glass, and it's their last bottle. J.Mart and Rachel decide that J.Mart will have a glass of the plum wine and Rachel will have something else. The waiter didn't mention a shortage of Amstel Light, so I wonder why I still don't have a drink. We also request more dressing for the slaw.
Literally about ten minutes later, the waiter brings out the womens' drinks but, inexplicably, not my Amstel Light. Then he brought out some food. I reiterated my request for Amstel Light. The food was decent, not spectacular. And there was no soy sauce, which I regard as a travesty for sushi. I request some soy sauce, and eventually get a tiny little saucer (the kind you usually put soy sauce in for sushi) with a tiny amount of soy sauce in it. Fine. Still, however, I have no Amstel Light and the miso soup, which was supposed to be our first course, has not yet come.
We ask a waitress who brought us some of our food (not our waiter) why the miso soup might be taking so long. She only offers that "it just comes out as it comes out." A fine response, except that they're not back there making the miso soup from scratch; they've got it in a big fucking pot, and what we're basically asking them to do is ladle some into a bowl. Whatever. For the time being, we have some food.
Eventually, the women decide to have another round of drinks. The waiter reiterates that there's no more plum wine, so Rachel orders a beer and J.Mart orders some champagne. Still no miso soup. By this time, I've ordered more sushi and decide that I don't need miso soup, so I tell the waiter to please cancel my order of miso soup. He says "oh, right, I forgot. Sorry." Then I ask him whether he remembered that the rest of the people also ordered miso soup, and he responds that he forgot. So I remind him that we did and ask him to please bring us some. He does, and it's horrible. I only decided to get some afterall because I was told that it was great miso soup. But it wasn't. Rachel and J.Mart both agree that it's crap, and comment that it's usually much better.
At this point, it's been about an hour and a half and we've just gotten what was supposed to be our first course, and it's crap. So I tell the waiter that the soup is bad and that we're not paying for it. I know, maybe I went overboard, but I was really pissed. This was literally the worst service I've ever gotten at a restaurant. And, just to be clear, we were the only outside table, and there were about ten people inside the bar. It would, of course, be different if the place was packed, but it was fucking dead. At one point, when we asked why our drinks were taking so long, we were told that it was because there wasn't a bartender. Find, I guess, except that I didn't order a fucking strawberry daquiri with fresh strawberries. I ordered a beer. Take the cap off. Or don't, I don't care. Just give me the bottle, charge me $7 and get it over with.
Subsequent orders took forever (apparetly it's cool to order on a rolling basis at this place). Not cool. Moreover, the waiter seemed apathetic to our plight. Finally, we got the check. I expected my total to be about $40. The shocker was that J.Mart's tiny glass of champagne (which she said was shitty) cost $16! Seriously, did the waiter just assume that we go around ordering $16 glasses of champagne for shits and giggles? I'm sorry, but if I'm ordering a drink that costs half as much as my meal, give me some fucking warning. Also, what the fuck, are my drink choices at this place tap water and Crystale Rose?
I was pretty much done with the place. The service was litterally horrible, with no attempts to rectify the situation. I insisted on leaving no tip, which, for me, is a dractic measure but one that was perfectly warranted here.
So that's what's on my mind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vice said...

Okay, so I know that in general you are opposed to these things, but it's still cool if I declare my hatred for whitey and involuntarily circumcise people, right?

6/09/2006 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mr. Vice: the normal rules of the universe do not apply to you.

6/09/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't the only person to whom that's happened, with regards to the miso. Or the drinks.

It's h-core lame. Sucks to hear you had a bad time.

6/13/2006 03:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home